SubjectRe: how to determine the cause of kernel lock ups
Hirling Endre wrote:

> And how do you determine whether your DIMM is bad? I have the above
> problem too - except that it only shows in X -, and I've tried running
> md5sum-s several times or compiling kernel, but those showed no error.

It's damned hard to know for sure. It may not even be a bad DIMM. It may just
be one that doesn't play nicely with your motherboard. Some Intel chip sets
have been real stinkers for quirky behaviour with RAMs. I put NT on a Pentium
machine with the 430TX chip set long ago, and it crashed a lot (No NT jokes
please). When we tried different makes of RAM (which all worked fine with a
different chip set) we found that with certain makes the machine didn't
crash. On the same machine SCO Unix ran without a hitch, but it obviously was
a RAM/motherboard because a change of RAM made the problem go away. We picked
a make that worked OK for a whole day, and after that NT run as well as it
ever does. I've heard the Intel 440LX chip set shows similar quirks. Even
with the good chip sets some badly layed out motherboards are still over
sensitive to the behaviour of the RAM. Yet another form of plug and pray.

Steve

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.054 / U:0.032 seconds]