    SubjectCorruption bug in CPU, kernel or tar
    I would send this to comp.os.linux.hardware as well, but my news server
    is broken :(

    tar 1.12, Linux 2.2.10, and an AMD K6-3/450.

    I'm chasing a bug which I found while doing a stress-test with `(tar x;
    tar d) &' times seventeen. It involves occasional corruption of an
    extracted file (every few days). I've only been able to inspect the
    file once, although the error apparently happened another time. In the
    case I found, the file, an MP3 of about 70MB, had 32 bytes in error, on
    a 32-byte boundary. Further investigation showed that the erroneous 32
    bytes were also in

    This is suspicious as the K6-3 has cache lines of 32 bytes, and I have
    stepping 1. However, I should like to know if anyone can think of
    alternate explanations involving software problems. Is there anything
    in tar or the kernel that handles 32-byte chunks and might be able to
    cause such corruption? Alternatively, has anyone heard of similar
    problems with the K6-3?

    The machine has 128MB of ECC memory, 20GB WD IDE hard disk, FIC
    motherboard with VIA chipset. All are brand new.

    A CC by email would be appreciated if convenient.

    Nate Eldredge

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.020 / U:11.520 seconds]