SubjectRe: Process Scope Scheduling Support
On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Riley Williams wrote:
> > I'm still trying to figure out why adding a member to the
> > task_struct keeps the kernel from booting even when I don't
> > even use that member anywhere in the source.
>
> At a guess, the task structure has some alignment requirement that
> your additional member breaks...

Oh, I didn't know that... what are the alignment requirements? At the
very least, I can document them in include/linux/sched.h and submit a
patch for that. It could solve a lot of headache in the future. Aside
from the "these are hardcoded - don't touch" comment, I don't see anything
that could imply alignment constraints. The comment above just refers to
the hardcoded member offsets in the arch/ directories, right? So if I
update those, I should be able to "touch" in order to get a commonly used
pointer into the first cache line? Or did I miss something there?

Chris Smith <cd_smith@ou.edu>

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.058 / U:0.028 seconds]