    Subject[RFC] - Some notions that I would like comments on
    I've accumulated a number of ideas which may or may not be reasonable to try
    implementing. I decided I wasn't going to have anywhere near the time
    necessary to implement them, so I might as well tell the list and have it tell
    me which of these are truly wacko and which might be worth trying. Below is a
    short synopsis of each. These are expanded on in greater detail at
    http://www.mv.com/ipusers/karaya/ossf/ossf.html, so if the stuff below seems
    incomplete and inadequate, check out the web page.

    Scalability through specialization
    On an SMP system, when a critical section of code is being hit often enough
    that around one CPU equivalent is being lost to the locking overhead, then it
    might be worthwhile to have one processor stop running processes and start
    running a thread which does nothing but handle that critical section.

    Making idle threads earn their living
    This involves finding parallelism in the kernel and getting an otherwise idle
    processor to handle one of the parallel chunks of work.

    Compressive paging
    Before writing a page out to swap, compress it.

    Speculative I/O
    When a process does a read, the kernel could schedule the I/O and return
    success before it completes. This would allow the process to start work
    before the read has finished.

    IPC through page remapping
    Moving data from one process to another by remapping pages would be a lot more
    efficient than by copying the data.

    Runaway process detection
    Detecting runaway processes and putting them to sleep might be a nice little
    feature to add to the kernel. The web page contains what I think is a correct
    algorithm for determining that a process is a runaway.

    An extra channel for kernel messages
    /proc/<pid>/kmsg would be a good idea. This would contain messages pertaining
    to a process which are not important enough to go into the message log, which
    might not be useful in five minutes, but which the user might be interested in
    now.

    A pseudo-filesystem for exposing internal process state
    This would be a uniform, generic way to attach real-time monitors to
    cooperating processes.

    Jeff

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.033 / U:59.452 seconds]