SubjectRe: kernel behaviour at media-changed

>>> My question: What about throwing all cache-data away and auto-
umount,
>>> in the case the kernel gets a media-change at device-xy and
>>> this device-xy is mounted??
>>
>> But if the disk isn't in the drive, how can it flush the buffers ??
>
>ARRRGH!!!!
>
>Why is it that so many people have trouble with this concept?
>
>First of all, an idle disk should be clean.

If Flushtime > auto_spin_off_time it can happen.

>If it isn't, then I ask
>why your OS was wasting all that idle disk bandwidth ?

I don't know, I'm nor a kernel guru. I noticed that BeOS writes on disk
when it's idle, without waiting for a 30 sec interval like Linux does.

>You will need
>to flush the disk eventually, and the delayed IO may conflict with
>future IO. You also tie up your memory with dirty pages. Ugh.

Not writing all data immediately allow the kernel to merge dirty
buffers and write them later with less seeks.

>Second of all, "how can it flush the buffers ??" is a silly question
>to ask when the disk is simply GONE. Answer: you don't. You junk them.
>You free memory. You kill processes that were paged out to the disk.

What sounds strange to me is that when the disk stops you can eject it.
It shouldn't be possible as far as the disk is mounted. And when you
type umount it should start spinning again, write data and unmount...
Perhaps there's something wrong in the ZipDrive's firmware.

Bye.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.054 / U:0.100 seconds]