    SubjectRe: Death of KERN_JAVA_* sysctl
    On 1999-07-10T16:46:47,
    Nate Eldredge <> said:

    > I'm not complaining that Java support was removed, but I do think that
    > the constants should have been left in. That way a program can deal
    > with it at runtime (sysctl will fail) instead of not being able to
    > compile.

    I disagree violently. Why should the kernel headers pretend that a feature is
    supported and then fail at runtime when we already know at compile time it
    won't work?

    I mean, in that case, lets add "KERN_DO_WHAT_I_REALLY_WANT". Programs can cope
    with that at runtime then.

    If a sysctl isn't supported for good anymore, it should be removed. The
    program can check for this using autoconf or a Makefile define...

    Lars Marowsky-Brée

    Lars Marowsky-Brée
    Network Management Netzdienste GmbH - DPN Verbund-Partner

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.019 / U:9.004 seconds]