    SubjectRe: Death of KERN_JAVA_* sysctl
    On 1999-07-10T16:46:47,
    Nate Eldredge <nate@cartsys.com> said:

    > I'm not complaining that Java support was removed, but I do think that
    > the constants should have been left in. That way a program can deal
    > with it at runtime (sysctl will fail) instead of not being able to
    > compile.

    I disagree violently. Why should the kernel headers pretend that a feature is
    supported and then fail at runtime when we already know at compile time it
    won't work?

    I mean, in that case, lets add "KERN_DO_WHAT_I_REALLY_WANT". Programs can cope
    with that at runtime then.

    If a sysctl isn't supported for good anymore, it should be removed. The
    program can check for this using autoconf or a Makefile define...

    Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée

    --
    Lars Marowsky-Brée
    Network Management

    teuto.net Netzdienste GmbH - DPN Verbund-Partner