    SubjectRe: If we cannot change file system semantics, we must concede that Bill Gates is right that Linux cannot innovate (was Re: (reiserfs) File systems are semantically impoverished compared) to databases
    Hi!

    > Now, what we _could_ do is to provide a user-space library stub for
    > other NFS clients which translates O_DIRECTORY() opens to a file into an
    > open of something like "filename/.%%pseudodir%%", and have an NFS server
    > which detects that pseudoname and munges it into an O_DIRECTORY open on
    > the server side.

    Aha - so Hans want open() to work on directories only when app does

    open("/etc", O_OPEN_DIRECTORY_AS_FILE)

    ? That will not break anything, but I doubt it is better than

    open("/etc#opendirasfile", O_RDONLY)

    which has advantage of easily going through network, advantage of user
    being able to explicitly ask for this even for old apps (think cat
    /etc - how do you convince cat to use O_OPEN_DIRECTORY_AS_FILE? You
    add option? And why adding option when cat /etc#opendirasfile works
    nicer?)

    Pavel
    PS: The latter complete with syntax has one advantage: it is already
    implemented ;-).

    PPS: Hans, please try not to change subject lines in every
    posting. The whole thread is much easier to kill that way :-).
    --
    I'm really pavel@ucw.cz. Look at http://195.113.31.123/~pavel. Pavel