SubjectRe: Preparations for ZD's upcoming Apache/Linux benchmark
Thomas Wouters wrote:

> All in all, the setup gets fairly hairy, especially when you have to take
> stupid users into account. I personally doubt the speed difference between
> khttpd+apache and an optimized apache or zeus or other webservers is worth
> the trouble, especially when you start taking disk and network i/o speed and
> latency into account. I'd spend more time showing how Apache/linux
> outperforms MS/IIS in real-world applications than confusing my own
> supporters with FUD :-)
>
> But then, i might be wrong. i haven't seen much info on howmuch faster
> khttpd could become, compared to a fast but simple httpd (and i gather there
> isn't much, yet.) If the benifit is large enough, users will cope :-)

I do _really_ agree with this. I think the people would be better
helping in doing a well-behaved multithreaded (not multiprocess) Apache.
Someone said two days ago that if we can not design eficient servers in
user-space then it's the OS that needs to be fixed, and not the server
moved into kernel space.

I have been using Linux for 5 years now (my first distro was a Slack
1.2, still have the CD ;-D), mainly for its _legendary_ stability, and
with all this kernel-space-servers hype I'm starting to be afraid of my
favorite OS becoming as unstable as my most hated other OS, which has
moved a lot of things to kernel space...

I'm in no way a micro-kernel advocate, just a stability advocate. In my
opinion, kernel things are much more risky than user space things, but
surely there are more kernel geeks here with a more valuable opinion
than mine...

Jorge

--
Jorge Gonzalez <jorgegv@icai.upco.es> -o)
ICAI - Universidad Pontificia Comillas /\\