SubjectR: I: [OT] R: R: How does Linux work?
Date
----- Original Message -----
From: Jamie Lokier <lkd@tantalophile.demon.co.uk>
To: Marco Ermini <mail@markoer.org>
Cc: <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 1999 8:34 PM
Subject: Re: I: [OT] R: R: How does Linux work?

> Marco Ermini wrote:
> > Try it yourself: open the task manager and
> > change the priority of a multimedia player
> > to real-time on a Pentium 200. Then wait
> > until the player it's over (mouse locked too).
>
> Do you mean everything stops *even if the RT task blocks*?

I mean that you have to wait until
the player stops to play the music.
Mouse is blocked too. When the
player stops the music, you have the
control of the GUI again.

> I don't know if NT's multimedia player blocks or not, but I'd guess not.
> A typical video game would never block so of course would lock out
> ordinary tasks if it had RT priority.

An NT box reserved to that video game,
that *only* plays that videogame I think
it could use RT for this game, since this
game uses thread that manages theirself.
The problem is that the touchscreen
device driver is blocked by the main
game thread, too. And I feel that in Linux
other processes could be blocked by
one RT process, but not device drivers
directly driven by hardware interrupts.

> RT priority is not to be used lightly. Games shouldn't use it except
> for special things: maybe for the sound mixer thread. Then those
> threads should take great care not to hog the CPU.

I agree.

Bye

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.051 / U:0.248 seconds]