    SubjectRe: Devfs, was Re: Migrating to larger numbers
    On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:

    > I'm not suggesting that the user has to worry about this. This is done
    > in the boot scripts or in devfsd. I just don't thing that this belongs
    > in devfs (i.e. the kernel) itself. There's no need.
    > Creating the symlinks only needs to be done once at boot time.

    I don't see that as being the case. What about your USB cdrom?
    Or your pcmcia cdrom? Or your firewire cdrom? cdrom's is just one
    example as well, there could be a number of other devices where the
    devices fall into a similar category ('cdrom') and there exists more than
    one and they are connected via different drivers.
    The only problem I see is exactly what one of the things devfs
    was trying to help get rid of, a cluttered /dev. Now you've got
    /dev/<interface> and /dev/<device> directories. Though, I suppose it
    isn't as bad if there are only so many devices in a system, and the
    directories are only created if a device of that type exists.

    Stephen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.021 / U:59.092 seconds]