    SubjectRe: Devfs, was Re: Migrating to larger numbers
    Wakko Warner writes:

    > > > <serious replies only, I don't want flames for asking a question>
    > > > Why bother seperating it out by interface? I'm just asking. It
    > > > seems it would be better to go by controller/bus/id/lun[/partition]
    > > > for all devices that connect to scsi, ide, usb, pcmcia, parport,
    > > > etc. It could get ugly having all of them in the same machine, or
    > > > we could do it with the device name beginning with h for ide (like
    > > > it is now actually), p for parport, (pcmcia is just another bus like
    > > > isa/pci to me so I feel it's irrelevent), s for scsi, u for usb.
    > > > say: u0b0i0l0 is id 0 on first bus on first usb controller..
    > > > Obviously, I don't know if usb has more than 1 bus per controller, I
    > > > know scsi does (used to have a dual channel adaptec eisa at one
    > > > time)
    > >
    > > There are good reasons for separating out the interface types. The
    > > first is that it allows an interface driver (ide-cd, sr_mod and so on)
    > > to manage a subdirectory. This makes the CD-ROM searching scheme I
    > > outlined trivial to implement.
    > I thought about that a little more... I was thinking that devfs or the
    > driver could have a link to the above or something...

    No, that defeats the searching scheme. What you want is:
    - no driver: no directory
    - driver loaded: directory with one entry per piece of hardware
    - opendir ("/dev/ide/cd"): load driver.

    Putting in symlinks like in your scheme requires a symlink for every
    possible entry that might ever exist if you installed an array of
    CD-ROMs. That gets us back to pre-devfs days.

    > I really like the idea of solaris having this for scsi0 id0 lun0 partition0:
    > /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 I just don't like the letters they used.
    > Above where I said bus[0-9], forget it, it would be too hard to do that and
    > it would be easier to have c0 and c1 being controller 0 bus 0 and controller
    > 0 bus 1. Whoever thought of /dev/sdb being 2nd found scsi hard drive should
    > be shot (IMO) I thought about running that user space thing, but I don't
    > like the idea of it since the rootfs is mounted via /dev/sdx by the kernel.
    > This is the exact reason I put my hard drives as close to id0 as possible
    > and all my other drives as close to id6 as possible. if my cd changer goes
    > out, my burner goes from scd5 to scd0.. ouch! I only have 1 tape drive in
    > this machine so that I'm not TOO worried about. But I thought about this,
    > if I ever get a wide card, there's no way I'm putting a wide hdd on an id
    > less than 8. This leaves enough room for all my narrow drives
    > Anyway, I don't feel it would be right to yank the /dev/sda out of the way
    > for people who like it, but it would be a nice config option... Atleast
    > that would suit the people who love /dev/s{cd,da,t} and for those who can't
    > stand it.. Me I can live with it, but I don't like it... Where's my choise
    > =)

    Have you actually looked at the patch or at least the documentation?
    The location-based naming scheme you want is implemented in devfs. And
    the old names are still there. And there are boot option to give you

    It's all done. A year ago.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.023 / U:2.480 seconds]