SubjectRe: Preparations for ZD's upcoming Apache/Linux benchmark
On 9 Jun 1999, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

> I am really afraid that you opened up a whole can of worms with this
> idea, considering that even a simple static HTML page can contain lots
> of different headers like Date:, Expires:, Content-Type:, Connection:
> and so on.

None of headers in response are supposed to be changed between requests
except Date.

> I'm not that happy about getting things like "building a
> Date: Header with time zone and everything" in the kernel.

It's in GMT, and IMHO can be omitted. And userspace application can feed
parameters to the kernel just like what is used for kmod.

> And if you
> use files with pre-tacked headers, you lose these informations which
> are crucial to the whole proxy-caching process on the Net.

This *is* how proxies are supposed to store them, and the whole thing
can pretend to be like a locally runnung "proxy" (like Squid) with cache,
populated by local HTTP server through non-HTTP protocol.

> I think, khttpd is a path along which (sooner or later) lies madness
> and an apache in kernel space.

Apache in kernel space is more like along the lines of sendfile(). This
is more like filesystem + proxy in kernel space, not unlike combination
of kernel NFS and IP masquerading.

I don't think that it's a good idea to put a lot of "smart" high-level
stuff into kernel, but providing very simple functionality like this can
be useful.

--
Alex