SubjectRe: Devfs, was Re: Migrating to larger numbers
cat@zip.com.au writes:
> On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 02:34:59PM +1000, Richard Gooch wrote:
> > cat@zip.com.au writes:
> > > Out of curiosity, why not also have the reverse? since it's a virtual
> > > device it can be done automatically and then if you want a cd you can
> > > open /dev/cd/ (or something similar) and go through anything in there.
> > > That way you don't have to guess at the possible ways of connecting a
> > > cd to the machine when you want to find them all.
> >
> > You can't directly because they come from different drivers. This
> > scheme works because each of the CD-ROM drivers has it's own
> > directory. To do what you want would require something clever with
> > devfsd.
>
> Hmmm. I'm not sure why. Currently (from what I've seen in this
> thread) you have a scheme of /dev/<interface>/<device>/*. What I'm
> saying is that you can also have say /dev/<device>/<interface> and
> let programs cycle through that. Those that are interested in seeing
> what's on an interface look in /dev/<interface>. Those who are
> looking for a device go for /dev/<device>. The driver just reports
> its stuff in two places. The difference is the code should really be
> almost nonexistant, no? Or am I getting something phenomally wrong?

OK, I misunderstood you. It seemed to me that you were proposing that
*all* CD-ROM entries would appear in a single directory (no
sub-directories). That would be tricky. But the scheme you outline
would be pretty easy. You don't even need to modify devfs to support
this. All you need to do is set up some symlinks (from user space).

Regards,

Richard....

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.131 / U:0.872 seconds]