Personally, I counted 24 instances of fuck, many more of shit, damn,
bitch, or deritives thereof (fucking, shitty, damnit or dammit, etc).

I think it could be an issue as far as censorship of the language goes,
but nothing more than a minor inconvience.

BTW, just run "grep -rn fuck *" or whatever word your looking for, while
in /usr/src/linux and it will tell you the filename and line number of
each instance along w/ the line.

On 8 Jun 1999, Scott Jaderholm wrote:

> Good Evenin',
> I probably don't really have the right to say the following, because I
> don't contribute to the linux kernel. But I am going to say it
> anyways :)
> I hope that I do not offend too many people.
> cd /usr/src/linux ; grep -i fuck `find . -name '*.[ch]'`
> It seems to me that if you are trying to make an OS that is going to be
> used by the masses you would try and present yourselves as best as
> possible. Using profanity to document your code doesn't seem all that
> appealing to me, but I don't know about others.
> Is it really necessary? Someone could easily put "messed up" in place
> of it.
> Anyways, I guess it is up to you guys whether you would like that stuff in
> there. I just wasn't sure how many of you knew how many times it was
> in there..
> Cheers,
> Scott
> P.S. Please CC to me, since I am not subscribed to this list (I tried
> it last night, but after getting 170 messages over night I decided it
> was too much)
> P.S.S. BTW, I don't go looking for this type of thing. It is just
> that I heard about it in an IRC channel so I checked it out.
> P.S.S. It would be kind of interesting to see how many times that word
> is used in some of the code that comes out of Redmond eh? But there is
> a difference, no one sees theirs (that doesnt make it right though).
> --
> .--------------------------------------------------------------.
> | Scott Jaderholm |
> | |
> |"Debian's non-commercial Linux distribution shows again that |
> |Internet-enabled, cooperative software development can produce|
> |software of the very highest quality." Linus Travolds |
> `--------------------------------------------------------------'
> -
> the body of a message to
> Please read the FAQ at

Michael B. Trausch
President of Linux Operations, ADK Computers
PGP Public Key is available at a Key Server near you, or at:
ADK Computers, Walbridge Office E-Mail:
To fall in love is to create a religion that has a fallible god. - JLB

Life is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those who feel.

Love is friendship set on fire. - French Proverb

Customer: I'm running Windows '98 Tech: Yes. Customer: My computer isn't
working now. Tech: Yes, you said that.

Version: GnuPG v0.9.7 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Made with PGP4Pine