    Personally, I counted 24 instances of fuck, many more of shit, damn,
    bitch, or deritives thereof (fucking, shitty, damnit or dammit, etc).

    I think it could be an issue as far as censorship of the language goes,
    but nothing more than a minor inconvience.

    BTW, just run "grep -rn fuck *" or whatever word your looking for, while
    in /usr/src/linux and it will tell you the filename and line number of
    each instance along w/ the line.

    On 8 Jun 1999, Scott Jaderholm wrote:

    > Good Evenin',
    > I probably don't really have the right to say the following, because I
    > don't contribute to the linux kernel. But I am going to say it
    > anyways :)
    > I hope that I do not offend too many people.
    > cd /usr/src/linux ; grep -i fuck `find . -name '*.[ch]'`
    > It seems to me that if you are trying to make an OS that is going to be
    > used by the masses you would try and present yourselves as best as
    > possible. Using profanity to document your code doesn't seem all that
    > appealing to me, but I don't know about others.
    > Is it really necessary? Someone could easily put "messed up" in place
    > of it.
    > Anyways, I guess it is up to you guys whether you would like that stuff in
    > there. I just wasn't sure how many of you knew how many times it was
    > in there..
    > Cheers,
    > Scott
    > P.S. Please CC to me, since I am not subscribed to this list (I tried
    > it last night, but after getting 170 messages over night I decided it
    > was too much)
    > P.S.S. BTW, I don't go looking for this type of thing. It is just
    > that I heard about it in an IRC channel so I checked it out.
    > P.S.S. It would be kind of interesting to see how many times that word
    > is used in some of the code that comes out of Redmond eh? But there is
    > a difference, no one sees theirs (that doesnt make it right though).
    > --
    > .--------------------------------------------------------------.
    > | Scott Jaderholm |
    > | |
    > |"Debian's non-commercial Linux distribution shows again that |
    > |Internet-enabled, cooperative software development can produce|
    > |software of the very highest quality." Linus Travolds |
    > `--------------------------------------------------------------'
    > -
    > the body of a message to
    > Please read the FAQ at

    Michael B. Trausch
    President of Linux Operations, ADK Computers
    PGP Public Key is available at a Key Server near you, or at:
    ADK Computers, Walbridge Office E-Mail:

    To fall in love is to create a religion that has a fallible god. - JLB

    Life is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those who feel.

    Love is friendship set on fire. - French Proverb

    Customer: I'm running Windows '98 Tech: Yes. Customer: My computer isn't
    working now. Tech: Yes, you said that.

    Version: GnuPG v0.9.7 (GNU/Linux)
    Comment: Made with PGP4Pine

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.023 / U:77.272 seconds]