    SubjectRe: Migrating to larger numbers
    Nathan Hand writes:
    > On Tue, Jun 08, 1999 at 12:16:40PM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > > Actually, gpm is probably going to be trashed and replaced with kernel
    > > approach (because in-kernel input drivers mean better sharing
    > > etc.). XF86_SVGA already has its fbcon counterparts (like
    > > creatorfb).
    > This is a side issue I'd like to discuss.
    > Kernel side abstraction of mouse drivers is painful. It encourages
    > user space applications that take over the entire device, and this
    > prevents applications from sharing a device.
    > The perfect example is /dev/dsp. Because the interface was "fairly
    > good" applications chose to open(2) it. So your desktop could make
    > noises, but you had to kill your desktop to play an mp3.
    > This has led to the current mess with your choice of ESD, OSS, and
    > ALSALIB as the sound API. If applications had used the theoretical
    > from the start, there wouldn't be this problem.

    I'm not advocating a kernel-based gpm, but it seems to me that the
    problem you mention with sound is due to the device semantics. The
    kernel doesn't impose single-open rules. That's a fault of the driver.

    You could just as easily make the same mistake in

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.021 / U:11.104 seconds]