    SubjectRe: cachefs module for linux?

    On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Christoph Lameter wrote:

    > On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Juan Antonio Martinez wrote:
    > > > 1- Are there any fs module to implement a local disk cache over
    > > > NFS readonly mounted filesystems? Something about Solaris's cachefs
    > >
    > > cachefs gets mentioned now and again, and is very useful. We used it on
    > > the cnn.com Web farm, where we had one big machine (NFS server) and
    > > several Web servers all mounting the big server's drives with
    > > nfs+cachefs. cachefs really improved throughput, but cnn.com uses
    > > almost exclusively static files.
    >
    > squid does the same in a far more elegant way as we implemented for
    > the Sony Motion Pictures site. NFS is the wrong solution and the wrong
    > protocol for web caching.

    True, but Squid didn't exist, or wasn't well known in 1996.

    > I thought NFS already did some caching?

    Not enough for the CNN Web site, which is probably at least half a
    terabyte of stories by now. The large selection set of
    frequently-viewed pages demands something more than simple buffer
    cache.

    cachefs comes in really handy, too, setting up "diskless" machines with
    nothing but NFS cache and swap space.

    Jeff

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.024 / U:0.228 seconds]