    SubjectRe: Migrating to larger numbers
    > > I wonder if it might be possible to do something special for NFS, like
    > > maybe make for NFS consumption a special file system where specific 64
    > > bit device numbers are mapped into a 32 bit range... [And didn't I
    > > already see some posts about device number aliasing?]
    > Nobody else has needed more than 32bits. Show me a case it is needed and
    > an OS that suffers from using 32bits. Then you can argue about ruining NFS
    > interoperability for the sake of some airy number guessing.

    On a side note, what happens if say 32bits were implemented (as it's
    currently IIRC 16 bit. 8bit major 8bit minor) as 12bit:20bit and you have
    an older nfs client (say about .2 or .4 kernel versions prior. I'm talking
    minor kernel version, not patch) looking in /dev on the server? I use on
    occasion, /dev/dsp off a server (this is the way I have a game setup that
    runs entirely over nfs)

    What would happen, would the nfs server realize it has an old client and
    mask the major/minor?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.090 / U:0.396 seconds]