    SubjectRe: Migrating to larger numbers
    Richard Gooch wrote:

    > > devfs is based on a completely bogus idea: that a device driver is a
    > > kernel thing. *THIS* is the supreme fallacy, and a major pitfall for
    > > Linux today. devfs in fact helps perpetualize this problem, in large
    > > part by moving policy into the kernel that has no business being there.
    > > It's the DOS way of fixing things -- quick, dirty, and extremely
    > > short-sighted.
    > Oh, come on! Of course a device driver belongs in the kernel. We're
    > not a microkernel, you know.

    You have the completely wrong idea what a device driver is! XF86_SVGA
    is a device driver! gpm is a device driver (mouse driver.)
    magicfilter/ghostscript is a device driver (printer driver.) Neither
    belong in the kernel.

    Things belong in the kernel if they *have* to be there. Not otherwise.
    This implies the need for a coherent, *USER SPACE*, setup for managing
    devices. Bootup devices are somewhat a special case, of course, but
    that doesn't change the fundamentals.

    > Anyway, you talk about this major pitfall which is a problem. *What*
    > is this "problem"?

    The whole design philosophy behind this. "Throw all the crap in the
    kernel, it's the easy solution."

    "The user's computer downloads the ActiveX code and simulates a 'Blue
    Screen' crash, a generally benign event most users are familiar with
    and that would not necessarily arouse suspicions."
    -- Security exploit description on

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.020 / U:8.728 seconds]