SubjectRe: Migrating to larger numbers
Date
Followup to:  <7jhku8$qmv@pell.pell.portland.or.us>
By author: o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s (david parsons)
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> >Guess what? We *ALREADY* depend on these -- dev_t in libc6 is a
> >64-bit number.
>
> Libc6 is an wad of regrettable design decisions that, fortunately,
> are not yet required to run a Linux kernel.
>
> Converting dev_t into a 64 bit number (and thus making an earlier
> regrettable design decision -- having the filesystem contain magic
> numbers for device access -- into a regrettable design decision that's
> buttressed by nonstandard GNU constructs) is comparable to putting
> the Mississippi in concrete culvert because it overflowed levees
> that were put up to make the floodplain safe for subdivisions.

Oh puh-leeze. C9x is in final balloting, and it is very likely it
will pass. gcc has supported a 64-bit type forever; there is no other
compiler that can compile libcX for X < 6 either (the headers are full
of gcc-specific constructs), so you can go around play with libc4 all
you want, but you're still going to need gcc.

This is silly.

-hpa

--
"The user's computer downloads the ActiveX code and simulates a 'Blue
Screen' crash, a generally benign event most users are familiar with