    SubjectRe: Migrating to larger numbers
    Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
    > I'd give NFSv2 another 30 years. I believe NFSv4 draft is also 32bit

    The advantage of 64 bits is that you can have relatively sparser device
    numbers. [SCSI bus addressing comes to mind as an example where this
    would be good.]

    I wonder if it might be possible to do something special for NFS, like
    maybe make for NFS consumption a special file system where specific 64
    bit device numbers are mapped into a 32 bit range... [And didn't I
    already see some posts about device number aliasing?]

    It might be good, from a security standpoint, to arrange things so no
    devices can be exported over NFS without proper aliases.

    --
    Raul