SubjectRe: Migrating to larger numbers
> 4096 is the part that worries me, it doesn't seem like an unreasonable
> number. Basically, I'm worried that with 32 bits we'll end up with a
> split that will be problematic on both ends for some device.

There are a lot of devices that can be multiplexed. With a million minor
numbers you can sanely do things like "industrial controllers all live
on major 395". We also get back the 7 majors for each block subsystem
we dont need any more

And we do need to reclaim a few of the bogus majors issued now for things
that should be using generic APIs or misc devices.

> Then we can hope that NFS v2 (v3 as well?) are dead or dying when this
> becomes a problem.

I'd give NFSv2 another 30 years. I believe NFSv4 draft is also 32bit