    SubjectRe: Migrating to larger numbers
    > 4096 is the part that worries me, it doesn't seem like an unreasonable
    > number. Basically, I'm worried that with 32 bits we'll end up with a
    > split that will be problematic on both ends for some device.

    There are a lot of devices that can be multiplexed. With a million minor
    numbers you can sanely do things like "industrial controllers all live
    on major 395". We also get back the 7 majors for each block subsystem
    we dont need any more

    And we do need to reclaim a few of the bogus majors issued now for things
    that should be using generic APIs or misc devices.

    > Then we can hope that NFS v2 (v3 as well?) are dead or dying when this
    > becomes a problem.

    I'd give NFSv2 another 30 years. I believe NFSv4 draft is also 32bit

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.031 / U:0.872 seconds]