    SubjectRe: [RFC] symlink caching and network filesystems

    On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Erez Zadok wrote:

    > I'm not sure this is relevant, but please ensure that there's a way for
    > mount() to turn off such symlink caching. It's useful for my user-level
    > hlfsd to turn off symlink caching, esp. over nfs. (Hlfsd creates a symlink
    > that points to different places depending on the euid accessing the symlink;
    > it's used to redirect /var/mail to users' home dirs.)

    Wait a minute. Are you talking about the userland server + normal NFS
    client combination? <scratching head> Hrrrmm... But READLINK in NFSv2 (and
    IIRC in v3 too) doesn't pass credentials, right? Could you elaborate on

    > When symlink caching first showed up in solaris/sgi, they really messed up
    > hlfsd, until there was a way to turn it off. Some bsd44 derivatives still
    > have problems w/ turning off symlink caches that hlfsd cannot work on them.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.018 / U:144.584 seconds]