SubjectRe: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel
Date
Followup to:  <19990604105447.39121@lahmed.Stanford.EDU>
By author: David Hinds <dhinds@lahmed.Stanford.EDU>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 01:44:55AM +0100, Riley Williams wrote:
> > Hi David.
> >
> > Since you appear to at least be willing to discuss the subject,
> > perhaps you can answer the question I've asked a number of times
> > regarding this, that nobody appears to be willing to answer:
> >
> > Q> What is so magical about having the CD's boot image being
> > Q> a 1440k image when the standard specifies that the boot
> > Q> image can also be 2880k in size?
> >
> > I can confirm that I've checked this out with both the systems I have
> > access to that can boot off their CD drives, by burning a CD with a
> > 2880k boot image and seeing if they can boot off it. Both booted fine.
>
> I don't know much about it: only what other people have posted on this
> thread. It sounds to me like this should work fine... so in fact, one
> work-around for the problem would be for RH, or whoever, to just make
> the bootable image on their CD's bigger, rather than simply having it
> be one of their 1.44M floppy images.

Yes, the standard also specifies that hard disk images can be used.
HOWEVER, I can personally testify (from writing SYSLINUX) that El
Torito BIOS support is often *very* buggy. Fortunately, it's getting
better, presumably as the code has matured.

-hpa
--
"The user's computer downloads the ActiveX code and simulates a 'Blue
Screen' crash, a generally benign event most users are familiar with