SubjectRe: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel
> > I'll ignore the third option: if someone wants to rewrite PCMCIA, they
> > can go for it.
>
> We want to rewrite more things than only pcmcia. Current modules
> system has problem: if driver is in kernel, one driver handles two
> devices. HOWEVER if driver is module, two drivers are required for two
> devices.
>
> This seems ugly.
>
> Many laptops with pcmcia are out there, and hot pluggable pci has
> became reality. Current kernel does not support hot-plugging.
>
> This has to change.
>
> Parameter passing is very different in modular / nonmodular versions.
>
> This should be unified.
>
> So maybe it is time for major changes around devices. Than changes
> should bring hotplugging into normal kernel. And it seems to me like
> rather good time for bringing PCMCIA support in. I would really like
> to boot up monolitic kernel on my laptop and _still_ use pcmcia ne2k.

How about also hot plugging of random ide/scsi drives? (I can do it if they
are modules). I know with some devices there are risks. I have yet to
toast a scsi controller, ide controller, scsi/ide device doing this (and I
have done over 30 hdd's in 1 day on the same pair of controllers)

I dare not hot plug pci/isa or even cpu's into a x86 machine (non laptop).
From what I understand about solaris and sparcs, if you have a dual or
better sparc, you could take a cpu off line, swap it for a faster and put it
back online w/o rebooting or shutting down. Now that would be nice for x86
eh?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:1.160 / U:0.208 seconds]