SubjectRe: network traffic doesn't balence well on recent kernels
On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Steve Bergman wrote:

> Jeff Millar wrote:
> >
> > When using the internet with late v2.2 and recent v2.3 kernels, the
> > first process to get the link seems to hog the bandwidth. My
> > configuration consists of a P2-266 running RH5.2 with many upgrades plus
> > a router/dialer running on a 486/66 and stock RH5.2. This doensn't
> > happen with W98 using the router. For example, right now I have two
> > download goings. The first started at 2.2K per second...about what my
> > phone line will allow. The second took three tries to start (timeouts
> > at the ftp site) and then started very slowly. After about 5 minutes,
> > the first connection now reports 1.9K and the second reports
> > 800....they're slowly drifting to equality. In general, once a download
> > starts, interactive use via a browser window gets very, very sluggish.
> >
> > Have I missed something on the this mail list about network tuning???
> > Reviewing config options didn't turn up anything unusual or changed
> > recently. QoS isn't selected, Not optimizing as router.
> >

> I've noticed this for a long time on my ppp connections. The first ftp
> transfer to get started hogs the bandwidth and subsequent ones get very
> little but very gradually improve. I would much rather have it the
> other way around so that what I am doing *right now* in the forground is
> fast and big ftp transfers get low priority. I really meant to ask
> about this a long time ago, but am just now getting around to it. BTW,
> does the reciever's tcp/ip stack have control over the priority of
> different connections or is that a sender thing only?

Hi Jeff, All,

Flow control exists on both ends of a TCP connection because the local
network at either end can get congested independently of the other. I
haven't noticed this problem (I'm running 2.2.9 and 2.3.5+devfs) on my
boxen, but I'm connected via ethernet and there are slower links upstream.
Perhaps there are retransmission timing issues with slower links?

-Nate

> -Steve
>
> -

Nate Riffe Duct tape by any other name is just as
inkblot@geocities.com sticky.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.062 / U:1.280 seconds]