Subjectnetwork traffic doesn't balence well on recent kernels
When using the internet with late v2.2 and recent v2.3 kernels, the
first process to get the link seems to hog the bandwidth. My
configuration consists of a P2-266 running RH5.2 with many upgrades plus
a router/dialer running on a 486/66 and stock RH5.2. This doensn't
happen with W98 using the router. For example, right now I have two
download goings. The first started at 2.2K per second...about what my
phone line will allow. The second took three tries to start (timeouts
at the ftp site) and then started very slowly. After about 5 minutes,
the first connection now reports 1.9K and the second reports
800....they're slowly drifting to equality. In general, once a download
starts, interactive use via a browser window gets very, very sluggish.

Have I missed something on the this mail list about network tuning???
Reviewing config options didn't turn up anything unusual or changed
recently. QoS isn't selected, Not optimizing as router.

jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.049 / U:0.488 seconds]