SubjectRe: Hard coding default COM3/4 IRQ.
On Mon, 31 May 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:

>> There is a CONFIG option for doing autodetection of the IRQ,
>> CONFIG_SERIAL_SHARE_IRQ; you need to answer yes to
>> CONFIG_SERIAL_EXTENDED to see the extra serial config options. The
>> problem is that it doesn't always work. I suspect that Linux folk
>> very often have a lot more random hardware attached to their
>> machines than Windows folks, and these random ISA bus cards can
>> confuse an autodetection algorithm.
>
>Does this also mean that auto IRQ detection using setserial is not
>reliable?
>
>BTW: what sort of confusion do you mean?

Yes. When I do auto IRQ with setserial, it returns something
like: IRQ -1023128419585

Since I only have 15 IRQ's on my machine, and since some of them
are taken, and none negative - I'd say that setserial
autodetection doesn't work right. My modem is on IRQ, which
nothing else is conflicting with. Windows 95 gets the IRQ right
without asking, it is not a winmodem.

I haven't tried the kernel level autoirq yet... I will though
soon...

Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris Linux advocate GNU advocate
Computer Consultant Open Source advocate

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot...