    SubjectRe: zero-copy TCP fileserving
    Alan Cox wrote:

    > > Why do several prominent firewall and networking companies shun or speak foul of our
    > > networking, saying we drop so many packets under load that linux simply isn't an
    > > acceptable platform for their product? This is most recently in reference to
    >
    > You mean one single vendor whose monitoring product is optimised for BPF
    > and who hasnt considered writing a BPF module for Linux moans a lot.

    yep, and the other bandwagon jumpers.

    > Yeah SOCK_PACKET sucks in relative terms for high speed capture of packets.
    > As to firewalls/routing 2.2 is fast. If we can get fastroute caching firewall
    > rules in 2.3.x we'll really kick butt.

    most excellent. i love driving the baddest OS on the block.

    btw, is there a whitepaper or simile that weighs the merits of skbuff and mbuff against
    each other? i'd like to have artillery at hand to defend when assailed by bsd zealots.

    thankyou,
    -d

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.021 / U:29.628 seconds]