       Date: 	Fri, 4 Jun 1999 15:40:31 -0400 (EDT)
    From: Alexander Viro <>

    On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

    > for modules. I need "do_generic_file_read" to build my own "sendfile from
    > struct file to struct socket". The later two are for a module-version of

    Put it into the main kernel and make sys_sendfile() use it - it's *MUCH*
    better than expanding the export list and duplicating code.

    No silly, he wants to provide his own read_actor_t, which is a very
    powerful concept. And the reason Linus made the structure/types there
    in the first place is that he did indeed think that allowing other
    kernel entities to use the do_generic_file_read interface directly
    might be quite useful. And it is.

    Think about the things we can do with it for nfsd for example...

    David S. Miller

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.018 / U:29.224 seconds]