SubjectRe: VAIOs and Linux (was Re: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel
In article <>,
Anil B. Somayaji <> wrote:
>The VAIO PCG-505TS (and the other 505s, I think) comes with a port
>replicator, with two PS/2 ports, a video out, a serial port, and a
>parallel port.

And the other VAIO's don't. The small picturebook VAIO, for example,
comes with firewire, USB, video, audio, modem and IR. And nothing else.
The only way to connect a floppy to it is through the USB (the thing
comes with a USB floppy) or with a PCMCIA card.

Even then the video is a "compressed formfactor" thing that requires a
special cable. Which in fact is a much better solution than the one I
have seen on larger laptops, where they often use a regular VGA
connector but then have so little space around it that many VGA cables
still do not work without whittling the plastic down from around the

>I've been very happy with my VAIO, and I have to complement Sony on
>producing a great small, relatively fast laptop that also happens to
>be extremely Linux-friendly.

I also really like the VAIO. It's good engineering from all I can tell,
but the engineers also obviously decided that they'd be able to go the
extra mile in being compact only by depending on modern devices. A
choice I like, as I'm getting tired of all the legacy stuff around.

But easy to install? Nope.