SubjectRe: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel
Date
<torvalds@transmeta.com> wrote:

>And no, a network install doesn't work either. The network card is

Another problem: Many laptops use PCMCIA network cards. So,
the "standard" installation programs from SuSE & Redhat don't
handle network configuration very well on laptops.

I installed cardmgr, etc., manually. But then, the cardmgr does
not initialize until *after* the other network operations
(ifconfig, etc.) have run and failed. Fiddling with the
Redhat system utilities did not accomplish anything (except
for somehow removing support for 127.0.0.1).

I eventually took the cowardly route of putting everything
into a shell script which I execute whenever I boot up while
attached to our LAN.

This probably has more to do with Redhat installation procedures,
but it is important for everyone involved in the PCMCIA discussion
to know about.

Mark.