    SubjectRe: The stability crisis
    I think the problem may have something to do with the size of the oops
    information and how much is left on the screen. I am doing Alpha
    development here, and virtually every oops I get a) double oopses and b)
    leaves no traces in dmesg or the log. In this situation, the first oops
    is long gone before I can even see it, and the second one is more than
    half gone by the time it's done, which means what I see on the screen is
    close to useless. At present this is not a sufficiently critical issue
    for us that we need to dive in and debug them, and when it becomes one I
    suspect we'll wire up the serial line for a more persistent tracking
    device (like a serial printer, a la Ingo's suggestion elsewhere on this
    list).

    Just my $.02, and only for a part of the issues Linus notes.

    Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > So why didn't you even include a ksymoops version of the crash? Or a good
    > hardware description? People do try to follow it, but it's not as if I've
    > seen very good reports even from people who say it's obviously bad. And
    > others are completely unable to reproduce the problem, so..
    >
    > Right now the problem is (a) lack of good data and (b) the fact that there
    > were very few changes between 2.2.7 (which many claim is stable) and 2.2.9
    > (which many claim is broken). The major changes were actually just reverts
    > of 2.2.8 (which _was_ badly broken due to fs) - the majority by far is
    > actually ARM, Sparc, PPC and alpha merges..
    >
    > SMP?
    >
    > MTRR enabled?
    >
    > gcc version?
    >
    > Quotas?
    >
    > Linusbegin:vcard
    n:Hull-Richter;Mark Hull-Richter
    tel;fax:949-851-3907
    tel;work:800-800-8600x6756
    x-mozilla-html:TRUE
    url:http://www.procom.com
    org:Procom Technology, Inc.
    adr:;;1821 East Dyer Road;Santa Ana;CA;92705;
    version:2.1
    email;internet:markh@procom.com
    title:Senior Software Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;-1
    fn:Mark Hull-Richter
    end:vcard

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.038 / U:59.704 seconds]