SubjectRe: Summary of how linux can best avoid the need for streams
Richard Gooch writes:
> Hans Reiser writes:
> >
> > I am not saying put an FS into a file, I am saying make the filesystem
> > effective enough that nobody needs to create things like structured
> > storage. Given that as a goal, what is needed?
>
> I don't even concede this goal. In some cases "structured storage"
> inside a file is quite reasonable and efficient.

We disagree.

> However, I would agree that for some applications that FS-based
> structured storage is much better than file-based structured storage.
>
> > I propose the following:
> >
> > * inheritance of file bodies
>
> What exactly is this?
>
> > * inheritance of stat data
>
> Fine.
>
> > * a syntax based on rdf for writing to files which have inheritance
> > (solving this stumbling block was important for me)
>
> What's "rdf"?
>
> > * filters, such that "dirname/..tar" generates a tar file when read,
> > and "dirname/..cat" concatenates for read, and
> > "filename/..filtername" runs filtername on the file/directory
> > filename.
>
> NO! This is a terrible idea. The low-level tools *must* provide raw
> access. This higher-level grouping of data belongs in the GUI.

So you are saying that from an ascii terminal I should not be able to
access these things?

I disagree.

> > * overloading directory names so that if they are opened as files they are
> > files, and if accessed as directories they are directories.
>
> Again, NO!
>
> > All of these features are valuable in and of themselves.
>
> I strongly disagree. Some of them are good, some of them are not.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard....

Well, I guess it is time for me to write it, yes?

I appreciate your feedback.

Hans

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.154 / U:0.976 seconds]