SubjectRe: LINUX
On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

> > # Store linux kernel messages into a different folder.
> > :0:
> > * ^TOlinux-kernel@vger
> > LINUX-KERNEL
>
>As written, that should miss EVERY message. The probable correct
>version thereof would be...

Nope. That rule has worked for eons. Pay close attention to the
syntax: It uses "TO" and not "To" which is completely different.

The "TO" is a special procmail macro, and this recipe was
constructed with care from the procmail documentation.

> Q> * ^TO.*linux-kernel@vger
>
>...but that will only catch emails with linux-kernel in the TO list,
>not those with it in the CC or BCC lists - nor, for that matter, those
>with "To" lines instead of "TO" lines - both regularly occur. OK, you
>can add a set to catch the "To", "CC" and "Cc" versions thereof, but
>not the BCC version...

No, the "TO" macro catches all of that. You're probably just not
familiar with procmail's special macros. I've used "TOmailinglist"
on several lists with no trouble at all.

Just so you don't have to hunt through docs, here is the
documentation on the "TO" macro which is from the procmailrc
manpage:

MISCELLANEOUS
If the regular expression contains `^TO' it will be sub-
stituted by `(^((Original-)?(Resent-)?(To|Cc|Bcc)|(X-
Envelope|Apparently(-Resent)?)-To):(.*[^a-zA-Z])?)', which
should catch all destination specifications.

So you can see, it covers all the cases that you mention, and
many more. It is fantastic for nailing a list down easily.

Take care!
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris Linux advocate GNU advocate
Computer Consultant Open Source advocate

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot...