SubjectRe: (reiserfs) Summary of how linux can best avoid the need for streams

Optional, optional, all of these features are separate capabilities
carefully orthogonalized.

One merely has the option of combining them together. In the Jeremy
Allison case, he wants it to be the case that updating any member of a
directory (emulating updating in W2k any stream of a file) updates the
stat data for the directory (emulating in W2k the file). Note that one
can inherit some stat data but not other stat data.

Best,

Hans

Stephen C. Tweedie writes:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 16:47:49 +0000 (/etc/localtime), Hans Reiser
> <reiser@ceic.com> said:
>
> > I propose the following:
>
> > * inheritance of file bodies
> > * inheritance of stat data
>
> Why? The neatest thing about the whole file-as-a-directory mechanism is
> that it avoids adding these sorts of dependencies. From a backup and
> administration point of view, I'd actually think it would be an
> advantage to maintain stat information for things like ACL control
> subfiles separately from the main data file, if we chose to put ACL
> stuff into subfiles like that. (Sun are going down exactly this road
> with Solaris, btw.)
>
> By making the interface as simple as possible and avoiding such
> dependencies, we probably make the whole API more general-purpose.
>
> --Stephen

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.121 / U:0.808 seconds]