    SubjectRe: If we cannot trim subject lines...
    Mark-Andre Hopf wrote:
    > (a) Because it prevents the normal user from messing around with the
    > internal of the `directory' and with it preventing the application
    > programmer from adding tons of code to detect and workaround unexpected
    > changes.

    All proposals so far don't _prevent_ the users, even normal ones, from
    messing around with the internals. Frankly any reliable application is
    going to have to deal with unexpected data in the file anyway.

    > (b) The normal user expects a `bunch of data' in a single file, not in a
    > directory.
    > (c) The content of the `directory' isn't of interest to the user but to some
    > applications.

    These points merely argue for something that behaves like a directory
    but doesn't look like one in an `ls' listing.

    The only compelling reason I can see is:

    (1) Ordinary users wish to copy/move compound files as a single unit,
    attach them to emails and put them on web sites.

    Which argues for automatic conversion to/from flat form on demand.
    It could be done in user space, and a kernel hook could make it
    transparent for all programs.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.019 / U:61.940 seconds]