SubjectRe: FTP benchmark proposal

Steve> Hi there, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

>> Why do you suggest that? One gigabit network card is cheaper than
>> 4 hundred megabit cards and provides more bandwidth. One of the
>> reasons the Mindcraft benchmarketing exercise was so poor.

Steve> If you run benchmark tests with GB Ethernet you loose any right
Steve> to complain about unrealistic benchmarks that others might
Steve> create. A machine with 4 x 100MB Ethernet cards is a common
Steve> real world configuration - often more for redundancy than
Steve> actual throughput. How many people have GB Ethernet installed,
Steve> or will do so in the next 12 months?

4 * 100Mbit Ethernet costs 4 PCI slots unless you get a quad card and
then the price suddenly goes way up and part of the redundancy idea
goes away. And you waste most if not all of your PCI slots which would
have been nice for a couple of SCSI controllers.

The sale of Gigabit Ethernet is going through the roof, lotsa people
buy it, though I suspect most of them don't have the slightest clue
why they buy it.

Steve> Also tell me where I can get a GB Ethernet card for US$70. I
Steve> can get 4 x 100Mbps high performance Tulip compatible cards for
Steve> that. Also where could I get a GB hub for less than 4 times a
Steve> 100MB hub?

A Gigabit Ethernet car costs less than $300 these days, I doubt you
can get a quad Ethernet card for that price. Besides you want a switch
if you want to gain anything from having four cards running, plugging
four cards into the same machine and then into a hub is gonna give you
exactly the same bandwidth as _one_ 100Mbit card.

I haven't checked the prices recently, but I also suspect that one
Gigabit port in a switch is cheaper or at least close to the price of
4 100Mbit ports.

Steve> Lets get real here

Thats exactly what we are.

Jes

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.052 / U:1.372 seconds]