    SubjectRe: [patch] pagecache-2.3.9-H3, bmap & ext2fs cleanup patch
    On Sun, Jun 27, 1999 at 10:08:11AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > The best argument for having the filesystem know about devices is to have
    > filesystems that can "migrate" files from one device to another. It can be
    > done other ways too, but basically it is really nice for "intelligent"
    > filesystems that do (for example) dynamic load balancing or that have
    > multiple levels of caching.

    Eee... Big blue MVS rearing its head ?
    Actually there are other uses for such things too, and likely
    more common ones.

    > Basically I'm talking about hierarchical filesystems: everything looks
    > like one large filesystem, but the filesystem itself can dynamically move
    > things from a slow medium to a fast medium according to usage patterns.
    > Old stuff that is seldom used is on a slow disk (or disk arrays), while
    > stuff that is used regularly is on a fast one.

    Yes, and ultimate storage medium is magnetic tape (for files).
    A careless egrep thru the filesystem causes massive randomish
    tape activity (at the robot), of course..

    Still, one can do a 'find' thru the entire filesystem, and stat()
    will yield sensible info. ( + possible magic flag telling the
    file is actually offline ...)

    > I'm not writing one, and I don't know of anybody _else_ writing one
    > Linus

    Me neither -- not now, anyway, but e.g. SGI XFS (as I understand
    it) can use that facility too.

    /Matti Aarnio

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.021 / U:1.844 seconds]