    SubjectRe: fsck is dead (was: Some very thought-provoking ...)
    > 1 ~30 minute reboot a week is 99.9% uptime, which is what NT hardware
    > vendors promise w/ >100k/yr support contracts.. So aparently 33minutes
    > should be perfectly acceptiable to enterprises.

    Depends on how you define "enterprise". I teach training classes for
    Compaq reseller engineers (not work for them; just train for them), and
    very few of the people I talk with would consider selling NT to an
    "enterprise". This is literally one of those cases where marketing paints
    a very distorted picture of reality. Compaq only offers reseller training
    for NT because Microsoft has apparently convinced them that NT is the only
    important platform. But even in a class that is clearly labelled as being
    about "StorageWorks on NT", here's the order in which people are interested
    in operating systems:

    1. VMS -- that's right, VMS is the most popular OS I've seen in this case.
    Most VMS installations use clustering between five or six nodes, often
    distributed over a wide distance to protect against power outage or natural

    2. UNIX -- generally Tru64 since these are Compaq resellers, also some
    Solaris. UNIX provides about the same reliability per node as VMS, but
    clustering isn't nearly as mature. As a result, it doesn't get used as

    3. NT -- these are people who are selling low-end servers like departmental
    web servers and hoping for minimum effort, or who don't have a clue about
    their customer's needs and are selling NT for the hell of it.

    4. A tie between Linux and Novell -- Novell sucks but is supported for use
    with this particular hardware that I'm teaching; Linux doesn't suck quite
    as much, but it has no support.

    I talked to someone a few weeks ago who described a system he just sold --
    5 minutes of down time costs this customer about $500,000. That means that
    the 33 minute fsck costs about 3.3 million dollars. Do *you* want to tell
    this person that fsck is tolerable?

    Chris Smith

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.020 / U:17.360 seconds]