    SubjectRe: VFS event hooks
    In message <m3zp1mhk2w.fsf@fred.muc.de>, Andi Kleen writes:
    +-----
    | torvalds@transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds) writes:
    | > Note that the poll() approach would simply mean that the file browser
    | > would have each directory that it displays open - and running poll on
    | > them. Whenever poll indicates that the directory changed, it re-reads the
    | > directory and updates as necessary.
    |
    | This means that if it displays a CD-ROM or a automount directory it cannot be
    | umounted, which would be annoying.
    +--->8

    (1) umount/eject from the file browser
    (2) an attempted umount would send a different kind of poll notification to
    the file browser, which would respond by closing the poll descriptor.
    "umount /cdrom || (sleep 30; umount /cdrom)"
    (you don't want to block umount on the close because that could be a DoS)

    --
    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
    system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu