    SubjectRe: VFS event hooks
    In message <>, Andi Kleen writes:
    | (Linus Torvalds) writes:
    | > Note that the poll() approach would simply mean that the file browser
    | > would have each directory that it displays open - and running poll on
    | > them. Whenever poll indicates that the directory changed, it re-reads the
    | > directory and updates as necessary.
    | This means that if it displays a CD-ROM or a automount directory it cannot be
    | umounted, which would be annoying.

    (1) umount/eject from the file browser
    (2) an attempted umount would send a different kind of poll notification to
    the file browser, which would respond by closing the poll descriptor.
    "umount /cdrom || (sleep 30; umount /cdrom)"
    (you don't want to block umount on the close because that could be a DoS)

    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]
    system administrator [WAY too many hats]
    carnegie mellon / electrical and computer engineering KF8NH

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.018 / U:0.236 seconds]