    SubjectRe: [patch] pagecache-2.3.9-H3, bmap & ext2fs cleanup patch

    On Sat, 26 Jun 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > Anyway, I'll reboot into my current kernel, verify that it works (and that
    > none of my asserts trigger), and make a pre-5 so that we can synch up.

    Rebooted, verified, looks good.

    Btw, Ingo, I really like how the ext2 changes are turning out: especially
    the last set of changes were a real cleanup. The buffer head could still
    be passed down some more, and then we could get rid of the "*new" thing
    altogether, and make ext2 internally use the same much cleaner setup. Nice
    work, Ingo.

    The other comment I have is that I think that the _filesystem_ is the one
    that should set the "bh->b_dev" thing, and conceptually what we should
    have is that a unmapped buffer has neither a device nor a blocknr, and
    then when we ask the low-level FS to map it for us, we could in theory
    have filesystems that span multiple devices (so the VFS layer should _not_
    set bh->b_dev blindly to inode->i_dev). I've done that in both pre-4 and
    pre-5, I just wanted to point out that it's by design.

    (Our ll_rw_block() cannot handle multi-device requests, but we'll see if
    we ever need them before I would fix that up).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.046 / U:1.348 seconds]