    SubjectRe: albods are not a clean set of orthogonal primitives (was Re: File systems are semantically impoverished compared to database and keyword systems: it is time to change!)

    On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > I really think the thing should be something like just
    > lookup("default");
    > Remember: it would be implemented as if it was an implied symlink, so you
    > can move them around and do whatever to them, it's just that there would
    > bea shorthand for opening a special name under the directory.
    > And it is ONLY a shorthand. Nothing more.

    *That* is 100% OK with me. Somehow I suspect that it's not the thing asked
    by, ahem, innovators on a killing spree... BTW, we don't need a special fs
    for that - it can be done right now on ext2. I don't see the point of
    exercise, but it's not too terrible bloat.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.020 / U:16.716 seconds]