    SubjectRe: albods are not a clean set of orthogonal primitives (was Re: File systems are semantically impoverished compared to database and keyword systems: it is time to change!)

    On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Alexander Viro wrote:

    > How permanent is the association of such regular component with directory?
    > Can you rename it away? Can you remove it? What happens if you do so? Can
    > you create links to such animals? Where do they belong in that case? In
    > other words, are they 1st-class objects or not? If we are losing almost
    > all filesystem operations on such animals - what's the point of doing them
    > in fs?
    >
    > Another thing being: do you want to have them as files in directory or
    > as small tree in file? IOW, is it namespace issue (first variant) or a
    > fast equivalent of mounting via loopback device + namespace tricks?

    I really think the thing should be something like just

    lookup("default");

    Remember: it would be implemented as if it was an implied symlink, so you
    can move them around and do whatever to them, it's just that there would
    bea shorthand for opening a special name under the directory.

    And it is ONLY a shorthand. Nothing more.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.021 / U:0.120 seconds]