SubjectRe: parport and ECP EPP
On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Daniele Bernardini wrote:

> I noticed that 2.2.x has problem recognizing ECPEPP ports
> I have right now 2 desktops and a laptop. The two desktops
> have respectively a Biostar mobo with a TX chipset and an
> Asus P5A. The laptop is a Compaq Armada 1575d. Only the port
> on the asus mobo is correctly identified. I want to point
> out that 2.0.36 was correctly identifying the parallel port
> on the Compaq Armada. The desktops run both 2.2.9 the laptop
> runs 2.2.7

What exactly goes wrong? There are several pit-falls:

a) You changed /etc/printcap to use /dev/lp0, right?
b) Don't assume that /proc/ioports will list the port if
you aren't using it; it won't.
c) If you're seeing Zip drive trouble, there is a known problem
with ECP+EPP with some motherboards.
d) 2.2.10 has the latest and greatest parport code, and fixes a
bug that was still present in 2.2.9.
e) Since 2.2.6 or so, parport will believe any parameters you
give it, so they'd better be correct.

So, without knowing exactly what goes wrong it's difficult to say anything
more specific. I'm assuming that parport_pc doesn't automatically detect
any ports, in which case:

- please try 2.2.10, which fixes a problem in that area.
- if that doesn't work, insmod parport_pc giving it the base
address of the port, and show me the kernel messages (from dmesg):
it should say whether or not it's happy about it, and if not why not.

Tim.
*/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.031 / U:0.364 seconds]