    SubjectRe: parallel writes to the same file, 2.3.7
    Hi,

    On 22 Jun 1999 16:44:47 GMT, torvalds@transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds)
    said:

    > So I decided to just get rid of the semaphore on the write side. There
    > are possibly cases we still have to check, but we'll do that with some
    > other mechanism. With the semaphore gone, we can do swapping better
    > anyway, no need for kpiod.

    The original problem kpiod was designed to solve was the superblock lock
    during allocate, not the inode lock. As long as the filesystem,
    internally, can take a lock which the VM doesn't know about and which
    prevents recursive IO to that file from succeeding, we'll still need
    something like kpiod.

    --Stephen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.020 / U:0.096 seconds]