SubjectRe: parallel writes to the same file, 2.3.7

On 22 Jun 1999 16:44:47 GMT, (Linus Torvalds)

> So I decided to just get rid of the semaphore on the write side. There
> are possibly cases we still have to check, but we'll do that with some
> other mechanism. With the semaphore gone, we can do swapping better
> anyway, no need for kpiod.

The original problem kpiod was designed to solve was the superblock lock
during allocate, not the inode lock. As long as the filesystem,
internally, can take a lock which the VM doesn't know about and which
prevents recursive IO to that file from succeeding, we'll still need
something like kpiod.