    SubjectRe: (reiserfs) Re: I discussed reading directories as files with jra,

    On 22 Jun 1999, Kai Henningsen wrote:

    > (Alexander Viro) wrote on 22.06.99 in <>:
    > > Or NT will eventually die. Much more desirable outcome, IMO. It's
    > > definitely inferior design. Remember, every self-appointed UNIX-killer
    > > ate flaming death and UNIX is alive and well. Where is VMS? Where is
    > > OS/2? Where is (spit) MacOS? Exactly. They boast. They suck. They die.
    > > It is that simple. NT will follow them, just give it some time. New
    > > "UNIX-killer" will appear, only to follow the previous ones. Who cares?

    First of all, YHBT ;-) Sorry, just couldn't resist.

    > Wrt. MacOS:
    > 1. I've never heard it announced as a Unix-killer,
    You are lucky, then.
    > 2. It's currently doing just fine, doing record sales, grabbing market
    > share from M$
    > 3. The designated successor is based on (wait for it) ... Mach+FreeBSD!
    1. s/Free/Net/
    2. MacOS kernel goes which way?

    > Wrt. OS/2:
    > Its death is a pure marketing effect: IBM didn't really market it.

    Not only. They've failed to leak enough information to create a productive
    culture (see Lions, etc.). BTW, I'm completely serious - AFAICS there is
    nothing similar to UNIX culture around OS/2. There goes the possibility to
    affect future designs.

    > Wrt. NT:
    > Interesting enough, when you look at M$'s *technical* documentation,
    > you'll find that they have a number of nice things to say about Unix in
    > general and Linux specifically. Don't tell the marketing guys!

    <shrug> if their marketing guys would have zero influence on the
    development... As much as I dislike VMS, NT *might* become very
    interesting. If they could keep PHBs away. And keep featuritis where it

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.030 / U:19.452 seconds]