    SubjectRe: SMP Question.
    On Wed, 23 Jun 1999, John Ronan wrote:

    > Just a thought... what happens the kernel if a processor fails in a smp box?

    In the past when this has happened to me on overclocked machines what
    generally appears to happen is that one process gets 'stuck' on one CPU, and
    most other processes get scheduled on to the other CPU. Unfortunately if it
    gets stuck when there is some spinlock in the kernel being used I think the
    kernel gets locked somehow and you can't do things like shutdown the machine
    properly, which is kind of an aggregvation, but, well, Intel/PC hardware in
    general wasn't meant to suddenly loose a processor... :)

    Stephen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.055 / U:0.796 seconds]