    SubjectRe: Some very thought-provoking ideas about OS architecture.
    >I think one source of argument here is that (for examples) OLTP, news
    >spooling, and software development are almost, but not quite, totally
    >unlike one another in the ways they use storage, so different folks have
    >different priorities. It's fairly easy to see how EROS is a win for OLTP,
    >but this may not be so clear for other activities.

    Quite right about differences in usage leading to differences in priorities.

    As I explained in an earlier round somewhere, the EROS storage allocator works
    very hard to allocate things in an extent-oriented fashion. In practice this
    works quite well.

    Jonathan S. Shapiro, Ph. D.
    IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
    Phone: +1 914 784 7085 (Tieline: 863)
    Fax: +1 914 784 7595

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.018 / U:157.544 seconds]