SubjectRe: [off-topic] Microsoft IP Stack
>	So, instead of Berkeley Socket API, perhaps we should
> refer to "BBN Socket API" ?
>
> Also, very likely that BBN code is the source of the
> TCP URG one-off processing error in 4.* BSD systems,
> and their derivatives ?

The socket API was a Berkelyism. The TCP URG one-off is
almost certainly a Berkeley bug. The nutshell summary is: 1) BSD
assumed that ISO/OSI would replace IP, and 2) rshell/rlogin is an
OSI-based application, not a TCP-based application.

Rshell/rlogin require an out-of-band data channel, which TCP
doesn't provide. Bill Joy implemented some unauthorized extensions to
TCP, new options to carry OOB data. I liked them, but that view was
not universal in the IP protocol community. More significantly, it
was felt that BSD was atempting to force these extensions on the IP
community without discussion and consensus. BSD was forced to withdraw
their TCP options.

Instead, they perverted the Urgent pointer by treating it as
an OOB pointer. This is critical to the rshell/rlogin protocol, which
uses it as the sole means to distinguish certain control octets from
data octets. Consequently, the BSD stack can't advance the Urgent
pointer as mandated by the TCP spec. Stacks which do implement the
specified behavior may fail to run rshell/rlogin reliably in certain
circumstances.

BSD also implemented deviant behavior in connection
initiation/acceptance, in part to compensate for limitations in the
then-current single-threaded Unix I/O model. The result of this
deviation was particularly noticable in FTP, where there was an
indeterminate ordering between certain control and data stream events.

My apologies to the readers who are fuming at me for being
offtopic. I suggest to all that linnux-net would be a more appropriate
forum for a continuation of this topic.

Craig Milo Rogers

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.059 / U:0.100 seconds]