SubjectWhy Linux is doomed (was: Re: FENRIS (nwfs) 1.4.2 Source Code Available)
According to  <leitner@convergence.de>:
> Management summary: stuff like this sucks. I am but a programmer with a
> SMP box that likes to run the latest kernel. And yes, I expect all the
> kernels to compile out of the box. I don't think that this is too much
> to ask.

Asking for the Moon is not too much also; see, I can do it: I want the
Moon! But it is unlikely that I will be answered positively.

However if you want an OS ask RedHat or Debian. The kernel is the engine
of an OS, and if you want to play with the engine prepare yourself to
get your hands dirty. Or let the professional (the integrator, Mr RedHat
for instance) do the job. Have you ever looked at your car engine ? Do
you expect General Motors to provide you every three weeks a free new
engine that fits easily in your car, with a 5-minute installation ?

Anyway I think many people will be grateful for your offering of
compiling every version on every possible architecture so that
out-of-the-box-compiling kernels may be released.

> Nowadays, people do not compile their kernels anymore.

And they are right. Users want to use their computer, not to build them.

> I can practically see before my mental eyes a Microsoft sales weasel
> showing people "make config" and then compiling a kernel where FAT
> does not compile!

Ok, now explain me what happened the last time you typed "make" in the
Windows NT source tree.

What ? You never did it ? Hey, maybe there is a clue there...

> 4. When you do a change in the kernel, DOCUMENT IT.

Thanks again for your selfless proposition of documentating the dark
areas of the kernel.

--Thomas Pornin

By the way, I use Linux on an Alpha and I always found the "linux-kernel
support" of much higher quality than what could be decently expected.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.048 / U:3.204 seconds]